Wanted to share this article about rules everyone should follow in a romantic relationship. In addition to offering sound advice, I also was a contributor!
"You bring a set of skills and attributes to the relationship and your significant other brings theirs. Don't settle for less than best, either for yourself or them. Look at what they have that you don't and strive to improve to get closer to their level. Maybe it's becoming more compassionate, maybe more athletic, maybe more scholarly. You're not becoming them, but take their strengths and let those set the bar for what you can strive towards. This way you remain independent but you never settle." —Joshua Klapow, Ph.D., clinical psychologist and host of The Web.
The 25 Unbreakable Rules are:
- Don't settle
- Make regular sex a top priority
- Deal with problems within 24 hours
- Never blame your partner (even if it is their fault)
- Speak your partner's love language
- Don't confuse sex with intimacy
- Be friends first
- Don't let yourself go
- Keep your fights off Facebook
- Don't dis your inlaws
- Have a solid financial plan
- Don't get drinks with other men
- No secrets. Ever.
- Ban the "D" word
- You're not a psychic, so stop trying to read their mind
- Stop trying to fix them
- Don't use sex (or lack thereof) to get what you want
- Always present a united front (the rule I contributed to this list)
- Don't ban beer nights with his buds
- Go to bed together every night
- Assume the best until proven otherwise
- Be honest about your past
- Accept their "offers"
- Give 8 compliments for every negative comment
- Don't contradict them in public